Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tick Treatment

Natural Home Made Cost Effective Tick Treatment


Fortunately, in our neck of the woods (and our geographical location) we do not have wood ticks. I know, many of you now think how lucky we are, but believe me, we have all other kinds of stuff that makes our lives miserable :)
But, do not think for a moment that this means I know nothing about the continuous battle with these critters, I was born and lived in Czech Republic, country with huge wood tick population.
And because of that, people down there have been trying all sorts of treatments and prevention, for years, and sometimes come up with great, effective stuff.
Since in  our household, we are all for the natural - environment friendly - cost effective solutions, I thought of sharing one such treatment here. 
It has been tried out by a good friend of mine Lenka on all kinds of her numerous pets. It has also been tested by my mom on her cats and several of our retired huskies, who reside with my parents. I got the recipe from my mom and both her and Lenka swear by it.
Last summer, I tried it out as repellent on some of the dogs, to see how it would work against mosquitos (you see, here we are with the suckers that complicate our life over here!) and it actually did work!
So, since for many of you around the globe the wood tick season has officially started, let me present you my two cents.
Ingredients:
  • Rosemary (either 20g (or 1oz.) of dried or a handful of fresh)
  • 1 table spoon of white wine vinegar
  • 1 liter (4 cups ) of water
Directions:
1. Let water boil. Set aside from the stove, add rosemary and let cool down under a lid. 
2. After it cools down completely, filter the contents. You can use a regular medium to large sifter. 
3. Add white wine vinegar and stir well. Fuse into jar or bottle, close and store in fridge. 
For easy use you can pour the infusion into a sprayer bottle. A recycled sprayer bottle from any cleaning detergent, properly washed out, is fine, or you can buy it in a gardening shop. 
You can also pour part of it into a smaller sprayer bottle and take it with you on your travels, hiking, camping or other trip outdoors.
You can spray your pet (make sure to protect their eyes and nose) and yourself as well. 
If you decide to try it, let me know how it worked!